Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

D is for Divergent #AtoZChallenge

On my apparent theme of book recommendations (really that was not my intent...), how could I not post about Veronica Roth's Divergent series?! These are fantastic books. If you liked The Hunger Games, you will love Divergent.

The story revolves around a young girl living in a dystopian world where society is divided into five "factions." At sixteen, the children of this world must choose which faction they want to be a part of - they can stay with the one they were raised with, or leave their family behind and join a new faction. It has a very interesting story line, and richly detailed characters.

Yes, it's technically young adult fiction, but so was The Hunger Games, so don't let that stop you. I used to let it stop me, but no more!

It seems like so many novels today are post-apocalyptic in nature. Lots of fictional zombies running around as well. One of my favorites is yet another Stephen King novel - The Stand. Have you read it? Great book. Believe it or not, I only started listening (reading) King within the last year. That's me... I find an author or a series that I like and I do not rest until I have read all of their books. I've mentioned it before, I love series books. If I find characters I really enjoy or connect with, I am reluctant to "let them go" after only one story.

Why, some of my best friends live in the pages of books... :)
______________

Today's picture prompt is bloom. Angie and I found these flowers in the middle of a dry riverbed near our house... and then she promptly picked them :)

3 comments:

  1. I don't think it should matter if a book is labeled "young adult." If the story is well-written, it can appeal to all ages.
    Visiting from the #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genre shouldn't matter if the story sounds interesting, but yes, young adult is a hard one to get over as an 'older adult'. :) I'm jealous of your pretty flowers. Our first ones of the year just came up a couple days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read Divergent. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete