Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Again with the religion.. Oy!

Integrity is very important to me, as are truth and ethics. I try very hard not to be a hypocrite, as that's a real pet peeve of mine as well. However, I feel that much of society today is self-centered and seems absolutely unaware of those around them. I believe that a lot of this has to do with the erosion of faith in communities. I am not a very religious person actually, but as mankind has focused more on science, disproving old notions and ideas and trying to uncover every little secret the world holds, there has been a departure from religions as a whole and the moral values that they teach and enforce. As man has determined that there is no God, or that the rules don't apply to them the free-will we have been gifted with has slowly evolved into an attitude that we can do whatever we want with no repercussions. I am not here to promote any religion over another, but one thing that almost every religion fosters is "right living" and suggested consequences for failing to live "right". Without religion there are no rules, laws or not, because life is short. I actually believe in Karma and reincarnation, thus I am convinced that I am here to learn lessons and those that I fail to learn this life I will revisit again in another until I get it right.

In the artwork and symbology of the 21st century there's a focus on man being alone or solidary. By forsaking God in our lives we've made ourselves alone in a way unlike any of the prior periods. With religion comes a sense of belonging and community; being part of something bigger than oneself. The prevalence of sexuality and violence, I believe, stems from that as man searches for meaning in all the wrong places.

So you might ask me... "Wendy, if you believe all this, why don't you go to church?" Good question. Sadly for all that I believe that religion provides a very important aspect to humanity, I also believe that many of the religions are corrupted and have lost sight of what their mission should be. That and I have yet to find a religion that I can embrace without reservation.

No comments:

Post a Comment