Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

United We Stand

I've tried to write two other blog posts tonight, but my mind just kept wandering. It's not hard to figure out why... tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of September 11th, 2001. For ten years now any time anyone says nine-eleven, no matter what they're talking about, my shoulders tense ever so briefly.

I found this via Google Images, but couldn't find original artist. Great picture.
My 9/11 story isn't overly dramatic. I spent the day at work, crammed into an office with my other co-workers glued to a small tv screen. We watched the towers sway, then collapse. It was surreal. I will never forget it.

I am proud of my country, of the people on Flight 93 who were the first to fight back, of those who saved lives that day, and those who died trying to, of the servicemen and women who responded to an unforgivable act and the feeling of unity that came in the days afterwards. Sure, Americans aren't always united - just look at our politics, but you can be pretty damn sure that if you attack us, especially on our own turf, we're going to come after you. 

It's just a shame that "United We Stand" often only happens during the worst of times.

4 comments:

  1. I love your point, a sense of comfort is the way we as a nation can come together to work towards some goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put. I agree, we don't always see eye to eye, but we do love our country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, is a shame it takes something like that tragedy to pull us together - and then only for a few weeks.
    I remember the plethora of U.S. flags everywhere, and by the third week their presence had diminished. I've had to repair my flag holder more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it's important for all of us to share our perspectives of that day. We were all impacted dramatically by what we saw on TV (and what some of us saw in real life.)
    It is remarkable how the American spirit is so resilient. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete